Applying Evidence-Based Therapy Through Oncology Nursing That Maximizes HER2-Targeted Efficacy While Enhancing Tolerability
Vamsidhar Velcheti, MD, FACP, FCCP
Director of Thoracic Medical Oncology
Professor of Medicine
Perlmutter Cancer Center
New York, NY
Evelyn Robles-Rodríguez, DNP, APN, AOCN
Director, Outreach, Prevention and Survivorship
MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper
Oncology nurses are in an inherently valuable position to be in the frontline for treatment of HER2-positive solid tumors. Given identified gaps and faculty feedback, the instructional design of this program is a multi-pronged educational approach designed for an oncology nursing audience. For additional resources, please visit www.oncologynurse-ce.com.
The primary audience for this educational activity is oncology nurses. A secondary target audience consists of other primary care HCPs (eg, nurse practitioners, pharmacists, physician assistant) involved in the management of patients with gastric cancer, breast cancer, and other HER2-positive advanced tumors.
- Evaluate the role that human epidermal growth factor receptor plays in the tumorigenesis and prognosis of patients with HER2-positive solid tumors.
- Summarize the efficacy and safety data of both HER2-targeted ADCs and kinase inhibitors in the 2nd line treatment of patients with HER2-positive solid tumors
- Discuss best practices for the safe intravenous administration of ADC therapy and monitoring for adverse events in patients with HER2-positive advanced disease beyond the first-line
- Appreciate the essential role the oncology nurse plays in patient education and management of treatment-related adverse events of HER2-directed therapy
Med Learning Group is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
This CME activity was planned and produced in accordance with the ACCME Essentials.
CREDIT DESIGNATION STATEMENT
Med Learning Group designates this enduring activity for a maximum of 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
CNE ACCREDITATION STATEMENT
Ultimate Medical Academy/CCM is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional education development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Awarded 1.5 contact hours of continuing nursing education of RNs and APNs.
NURSING CREDIT INFORMATION
Purpose: This program would be beneficial for nurses involved in caring for patients with gastric cancer, breast cancer, and other HER2-positive advanced tumors.
CNE Credits: 1.5 ANCC Contact Hours.
The program content has been reviewed by the Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation (ONCC) and is acceptable for recertification points.
DISCLOSURE POLICY STATEMENT
In accordance with the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) Standards for Commercial Support, educational programs sponsored by Med Learning Group must demonstrate balance, independence, objectivity, and scientific rigor. All faculty, authors, editors, staff, and planning committee members participating in an MLG-sponsored activity are required to disclose any relevant financial interest or other relationship with the manufacturers of any commercial products and/or providers of commercial services that are discussed in an educational activity.
DISCLOSURE OF CONFLICTS OF INTEREST
Vamsidhar Velcheti MD, FACP, FCCP discloses that he has received consulting fees from BMS, Merck, AstraZeneca, Amgen, Foundation Medicine, and Regeneron.
Evelyn Robles-Rodríguez, DNP, APN, AOCN discloses that she has received research grants from Genentech and Pfizer.
CME Content Review
The content of this activity was independently peer reviewed.
The reviewer of this activity has nothing to disclose.
CNE Content Review
The content of this activity was peer reviewed by a nurse reviewer.
Douglas Cox, MSN, MHA, RN
Ultimate Medical Academy/CCM – Lead Nurse Planner
The reviewer of this activity has nothing to disclose.
Staff Planners and Managers
The staff, planners, and managers reported the following financial relationships or relationships to products or devices they or their spouse/life partner have with commercial interests related to the content of this CME/CE activity:
- Matthew Frese, General Manager of Med Learning Group, has nothing to disclose.
- Christina Gallo, SVP, Educational Development of Med Learning Group, has nothing to disclose.
- Debra Gordon, Medical Director of Med Learning Group, has nothing to disclose.
- Ana Maria Albino, Senior Program Manager of Med Learning Group, has nothing to disclose.
- Jessica Feygin, Program Coordinator of Med Learning Group, has nothing to disclose.
- Douglas Cox, MSN, MHA, RN, UMA/CCM – LNP, has nothing to disclose.
- Lauren Welch, MA, VP of Accreditation and Outcomes of Med Learning Group, has nothing to disclose.
- Aimee Meissner, Accreditation and Outcomes Coordinator of Med Learning Group, has nothing to disclose.
DISCLOSURE OF UNLABELED USE
Med Learning Group requires that faculty participating in any CME activity disclose to the audience when discussing any unlabeled or investigational use of any commercial product or device not yet approved for use in the United States.
During this lecture, faculty may mention the use of medications for both FDA-approved and non-approved indications.
METHOD OF PARTICIPATION
There are no fees for participating and receiving CME/CE credit for this enduring activity. To receive CME/CE credit participants must:
- Read the CME/CNE information and faculty disclosures.
- Participate in the enduring activity.
- Submit the evaluation form to Med Learning Group.
You will receive your certificate upon completion as a downloadable file.
Med Learning Group makes every effort to develop CME activities that are science based. This activity is designed for educational purposes. Participants have a responsibility to use this information to enhance their professional development in an effort to improve patient outcomes. Conclusions drawn by the participants should be derived from careful consideration of all available scientific information. The participant should use his/her clinical judgment, knowledge, experience, and diagnostic decision-making before applying any information, whether provided here or by others, for any professional use.
For CME questions, please contact Med Learning Group at email@example.com
Contact this CME provider at Med Learning Group for privacy and confidentiality policy statement information at www.medlearninggroup.com/privacy-policy/
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
Staff will be glad to assist you with any special needs. Please contact Med Learning Group prior to participating at firstname.lastname@example.org
RELEASE DATE: June 29, 2022
EXPIRATION DATE: June 29, 2023
Copyright © 2022 Med Learning Group. All rights reserved. These materials may be used for personal use only. Any rebroadcast, distribution, or reuse of this presentation or any part of it in any form for other than personal use without the express written permission of Med Learning Group is prohibited.